Monday, June 10, 2013

Deodorant: Things Korea does differently #2

Before coming to Korea, I did quite a bit of research on what I should bring. On everyone's list was deodorant, so I brought plenty of my own considering that I sweat like it's my job. I figure if I ran out, I can just look really hard and find some Korean brand instead.

Once a week I have Korean lessons with my main co-teacher, Monica (or JungAh, I switch between her Korean and English names). We were chatting about my trip to Seoraksan, and how hot it was. I mentioned that I was glad I remembered my deodorant, or the bus ride would have been worse for everyone. When I got a blank look, I repeated myself, which I rarely have to do with Monica.

She has never heard of deodorant. Or anti-perspirant. I don't mean in a metaphorical or sarcastic sense either, like how Rick Astley has never heard of a dance move beyond the 2 step. She literally did not know what I was talking about. I had to explain in detail how it's a gel or powder or sometimes spray that you apply to your armpits to keep them from sweating and stinking. I think I could have been explaining how a bill becomes a law for the amount of recognition on her face.

How does this happen? Do Koreans really not sweat? It was 90 degrees last week and I felt like I was melting. When Mijin told me that I can expect much worse come July and August, I nearly cried. It's going to be a long summer of feeling disgusting and gross. Hooray.


안녕!
Anyeong!
Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment